Disclosure: Some of these links are affiliate links, and at no additional cost, I earn a commission if you buy which helps to maintain this website.
With the ability to produce an even grind for all brewing methods, it should definitely be on your shortlist.
Firstly, it’s got plenty of features, including:
- hardened stainless steel conical burrs for an even grind,
- 60 different precision grind settings all the way from espresso to plunger,
- automatic or manual grinding,
- dosing IQ technology,
- an LCD backlit display and
- a 2 year replacement warranty.
Watch this video for a brief overview.
What are the specifications?
|Included accessories||Portafilter cradle – small – 50-54mm|
Portafilter cradle – large – 58mm
Grinds container with lid and sealing cap
Conical burr cleaning brush
|Construction materials||Stainless steel housing|
Stainless steel conical burrs
|Dimensions||8.50 X 6.00 X 15.50 inches|
|Grinding mechanism||Stainless steel conical burr grinder efficiently designed to minimise grinding heat and protect the essential oils in the coffee bean|
|Settings||60 precise grind settings from the finest espresso to the coarsest french press grind|
|Voltage||110 – 120 volts|
|Warranty||1 Year Limited Product Warranty|
What are the features?
It comes with a handful of accessories to assist you with grinding and storing your coffee, including:
- two different sized portafilter cradles, for grinding directly into your espresso machine portafilter
- a grinds container with a lid and sealing cap
- a cleaning brush for cleaning the conical burrs.
The bean hopper:
Starting from the top of the machine, you have the 18oz removable bean hopper with an air-tight seal lid.
The bean hopper comes with a locking mechanism that allows you to safely remove and transfer your beans from the hopper to a storage container.
This is a great feature, as leaving beans in the bean hopper for an extended period of time is not recommended for achieving the maximum flavour from your beans, for instance.
It also has a safety mechanism that stops the grinder from operating if it’s not locked into the correct position and displays the message “PLEASE LOCK HOPPER” on the LCD screen.
The LCD display and controls:
The backlit LCD screen displays various settings, including the coarseness of the grind, the grind time, the amount of shots or cups to be produced and the grind size.
All of these settings can be configured by using the following controls:
- Grind Amount/Program button: This is to adjust the amount of time for the grind and with Dosing IQ Technology, the time can be adjusted in increments of 0.2 of a second to achieve the perfect grind every time.
Press and hold the button to save the number of shots/cups and the grind time currently displayed on the LCD
- Shots/Cups button: This button is to adjust the number of shots or cups to be dispensed. See the table below for the maximum number of shots/cups per method.
- Start/Pause/Cancel button: This button is to start, pause or cancel the grinding process. You can also press & hold the button for a manual grind.
- Grind Size dial: Located on the side of the machine, this dial adjusts the size of the grind between coarse and fine.
|Brew method||Espresso||Percolator||Drip filter||Plunger|
|Grind setting||Fine||Medium||Medium coarse||Coarse|
|Amount||1 up to 8 shots||1 up to 12 cups||1 up to 12 cups||1 up to 12 cups|
Adjustable conical burrs:
Another great feature, is the ability to adjust the upper burr to extend the grind range. The included operating manual explains how to do this in detail, however it is a relatively simple process that can be done without the use of any tools.
Some previous Breville coffee grinders required the use of a shim kit to get a finer grind, which while it was not too difficult to install, this model removes that need all together, certainly making it a better choice.
Cleaning and maintenance
Cleaning your Breville bcg820bssxl Smart Grinder Pro regularly will help to produce consistent grinds and should increase the lifespan of the machine.
Some people suggest putting dry rice through the grinder to clean it, but Breville recommend a product (similar to the “Grindz” used in the video below) of their own, Breville Eco Coffee Residue Cleaner.
It’s also recommended to wash the parts and accessories in warm soapy water (not the dishwasher), without the use of anything abrasive, such as scourers or steel wool.
As a result, this will ensure the parts and accessories remain in the best possible condition.
This is a great video that shows you various steps you can take to ensure your grinder is kept clean and in tip-top shape.
Should I buy a conical burr coffee grinder?
There are several reasons why you should consider purchasing a conical burr coffee grinder, such as the Breville bcg820bss. Let’s list these now:
- Noise – Firstly, they tend to be low-noise, as they operate at a low RPM. This is surely going to be a great reason, as if you’re considering a coffee grinder for your home, a noisy coffee grinder is probably the last thing you want.
- Heat – Secondly, operating at a low RPM, they also produce less heat. This helps to produce a better brew, as the low heat is less disruptive to the natural oils in the coffee beans.
- Price – Thirdly, they’re generally cheaper than other burr grinders.
Who should purchase this coffee grinder?
In conclusion, the Breville bcg820bss Smart Grinder Pro is best suited to someone who wants a coffee grinder that is quick and easy to use, has the ability to produce a variety of grinds (without a lot of noise) and doesn’t mind paying a little bit extra than a basic electric blade coffee grinder.
Check out the price and the reviews from other people who have bought it.
Have you purchased this coffee grinder or perhaps have a different grinder to recommend? Let me know in the comments below.